Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Music

The last post..lot to ingest...or maybe not...now to some tune-age, my first love..

where oh where to start.....

the late great..(there is probally gonna be a lot late greats on this list..)
Jimi Hendrix
my dad gave me "Are you experienced?" on cassette. I seriously played it out. If i was not rocking out to it with my headphones, i was playing along on the drums..mitch mitchell who just pasted away in 08, was an amazing drummer...Seriously how can you not like hendrix..so talented



When i got into art school, there was a blank cd with "good shit" written on with with a black sharpie. I had to see what was on it. Sure enough it was "A Ghost was born album" by wilco. I fell inlove with them the first time i heard the whole album..



Ive been getting really into country lately ...so here is some stuff i really dig

david allen coe
he knows the roots and brings a rocknroll twist to it..



Merle Haggard
seriously he is a bad ass, some song titles : "working man blues" "white line fever""branded man"



willie nelson
biodiesel baby!!



waylon jennings
another bad ass, amazing voice, its hard to imagine that these guys would be drunk/strung out on coke/junk and still perform almost every night of the year...he is kinda of what started my country binge. I heard "are you ready for the country " and was blown away...and thats not even his best song..



Johnny Cash
it doesnt get any better. dude i went to high school was his god son..fucking lucky dude..
one of my favs 25 minutes togo



and to transition us from country back to rock...

Gram Parsons
was the singer for the flying burrito brothers, did some solo work, collab with Emmylou Harris. He was asked to join the Stones if i am correct after brian jones died..




Alright lets exclude the obvious choices for amazing music e.ge Rolling Stones, Dylan, The Dead , The who and so on...because i could be here all day and night..and already this post has run alittle long. I didnt mean to go on such a long country tangent but thats what ive been listening to alot of lately. Lets focus on where i started with hendrix, music that made and impact. Artists that once i heard them and cosmic explosion happened in my head!!!

The Clash
another tape my dad bought for me. Combat Rock. The dude had seriously good taste in music.



The Beastie Boys
when i got license to ill tape...all man my folks thought i was a lost cause...seriously they understood the rock and roll and the punk but when they heard hold it now it (tried to find the video for but embedded locked!) it was on...they seriously were disappointed in me..haha



Tribe called quest
i owe it to the beastie boys to get me into tribe called quest..such an original group. i went to one of their shows in philly in the late 90s. they would shine a light on someone in the audience. that person whould have to yell out what song they wanted to hear them perform....NAME a music group that doe that...and trust me the audience was pulling some oldies out to trick them up..and on command they did each song..amazing



WU TANG CLAN
for the longest time one of my goals in life was to be an official member....these dudes made a huge impact almost as big as the first time i heard hendrix. my ears were sliced and dice by the beats and the lyrics just made brian explode..
this video was probally made before they even really got money from the labels for videos and such but its the music that makes this group..



Black Sabbath
again another musical influence of my fathers..he was nick named the "iron man" because on the job site ( he was an iron worker) he was always the tallest and prefered to go about things the hard way..children of the grave is probally one of my fav songs by them though..



Muddy waters

its the blues every dude knows the blues



as i was discussing earlier when i was playing the drums all the time these guys were a huge influence...

buddy rich
awesome



he actually battled the true inspiration for me to pick up drumsticks, Animal from the muppets. he played the drums got the chicks and was crazy..what 8 year doesnt wanna be like him...



Gene Krupa
you cant mention Buddy Rich without Gene Krupa



since we segwayed to jazz one of my favs is

Charlie Parker




Bill Evans
my mother is a classically trained pianist. she would play so much bill evans and seriously any time i hear it either being played over the radio etc. or perhaps live by someone. memories of her playing it always come back and i literally feel transported back to when i was younger...leave to music to be a true time traveling vehicle...

here is to the future and next posting...

No comments: